Why do pro-poor technologies fail to achieve scale, even when they offer proven benefits?
This conference explored the barriers to adoption of promising innovations in developing countries. It showcased new techniques for evaluating consumer preferences at the base of the economic pyramid-- from willingness to pay experiments, to 'big data' analytics and user-focused design.
Led by the Development Impact Lab (DIL), the event featured Nathan Eagle (Harvard University & Jana), Pascaline Dupas (Stanford University), Dave Ferguson (USAID), and representatives from technology start-ups Digital Green, Sanergy, Flashcast, Gram Power and Lumeter Networks.
The event was organized by the Center for Effective Global Action (CEGA), the Blum Center for Developing Economies, and the Georgetown University Initiative on Innovation, Development and Evaluation (gui2de), with support from the United States Agency for International Development (USAID).
Event Presentations (available for download in sidebar to the right)
- Introduction by Temina Madon (Managing Director, DIL)
- Session 1 : Emerging Tools for Revealing Demand
Session 2: Case Studies in Consumer-driven Technology Design
- Revealing Demand for Pro-Poor Innovations: What can be learned from field experiments - Pascaline Dupas (Stanford University)
- Understanding Demand through Big Data - Nathan Eagle (JANA)
- Sensing Technologies for Data Collection and Monitoring - Patrick Pannuto (University of Michigan)
- Human-Centered Design and Information Communication Technology for Development (ICTD) - Susan P. Wyche (Michigan State University)
Closing Panel and Final Remarks by:
- Digital Green - Rajesh Veeraraghavan, Co-founder
- Flashcast Ventures - Jeremy Gordon, CEO
- Grampower - Yashraj Khaitan, CEO and Co-founder
- Lumeter Networks - Mitra Ardron, CEO
- Sanergy - Dennis Ochieng, Operations Director
Ticora Jones (HESN Program Director, USAID)
Jeffrey Asher (President, Consumer Product Testing Consultants)
Bruce Baikie (Executive Director, Inveneo)
Laura Hosman (Assistant Professor of Political Science, Illinois Institute of Technology)